Columbus, OH—The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) and its partners invite you to stroll through organic vegetable fields, learn about pastured livestock production, consider a career in farming, savor farm-to-table feasts, and take advantage of other learning and networking opportunities during the 2019 Sustainable Farm Tour and Workshop Series.
In addition to OEFFA’s 20 summer farm tours, workshops, and special events in Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, 26 other events are being presented by The Ohio State University, Arthur Morgan Institute for Community Solutions, Clintonville Farmers’ Market, and the Michigan Organic Food and Farm Alliance.
“This year’s series is unique because we’re offering many special events celebrating OEFFA’s 40th anniversary—from field to fork meals, a craft beer social, and an OEFFA open house for members to stop in and get to know our staff and board a little better,” said OEFFA Program Director Renee Hunt.
OEFFA members and the public are invited to celebrate OEFFA’s 40th anniversary during these special events:
- Sunday, August 4: The Farmers’ Table—Jorgensen Farms Oak Grove, Franklin Co.
- Sunday, August 25: 5th Annual Dinner Celebration—Maplestar Farm, Geauga Co.
- Saturday, October 12: Toast to Ohio’s Harvest Keg Tapping—Fibonacci Brewing Company, Hamilton Co.
- Friday, November 15: A Very OEFFA Open House—OEFFA, Franklin Co.
Tour guests can experience sustainable agriculture up close during these OEFFA farm tours:
- Saturday, June 22: Community Garden Addressing Family Hunger Tour—Sofia Quintero Arts and Cultural Center, Lucas Co.
- Friday, July 5: Farmer-Owned Creamery Plant and Organic Dairy Farm Tour—Green Field Farms Processing Plant and Gentle Slope Farm, Wayne Co.
- Wednesday, July 31: Hemp Research and Organic Grain Transition Farm Tour—Noble Organic Grains, Indiana
- Sunday, August 10: Organic Grain Production Farm Tour and Grain Growers Chapter Meeting—Bartholomew Farms, Michigan
- Saturday, September 14: Mixed Vegetable, Hay, and Hops Farm Tour—Old Dutch Hops, Highland Co.
- Saturday, September 28: Urban Community Supported Agriculture Farm Tour—Lady Buggs Farm, Mahoning Co.
- Saturday, September 28: Value-Added Production Farm Tour—Dutch Creek Winery, Athens Co.
- Saturday, October 12: Horse-Powered Diversified Livestock and Regenerative Farm Tour—Finch Creek Farm, Greene Co.
Attendees can explore a dream to farm, gain leadership skills, and more during these OEFFA workshops:
- Sunday, June 30: Farm Vision Workshop—Keller Market House, Fairfield Co.
- Tuesday, July 9: Farm Land and Labor Mixer—Hiram Field Station, Portage Co.
- Sundays, October-February: Heartland Farm Beginnings® Training Course—OEFFA, Franklin Co. (remote learning opportunities available)
- Friday, December 6: Be the Change: A Leadership Training for Farmers and Farm Advocates—OEFFA, Franklin Co.
Other opportunities include these OEFFA member open houses:
- Saturday, June 1: Snowville Creamery, Meigs Co.
- Saturday, July 20: Venture Heritage Farm, Wayne Co.
- Sunday, October 13: Pastured Providence Farmstead, Ross Co.
- Sunday, November 3: Foraged & Sown, Franklin Co.
“Farmers sharing knowledge with other farmers has been at the core of our work for four decades. This series provides unique on-farm opportunities for growers, educators, and conscientous eaters to learn about sustainable agriculture and local foods from growers and producers with years of practical experience,” said Hunt.
All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise indicated in the series brochure.
For more information and complete details for all workshops and farm tours, click here.